Table of Contents
- Most popular IDEs for business in 2023
- Final tips on IDEs for business
IDEs make developers’ life easier by providing them with convenient workshops to operate in as well as helping to complete projects efficiently. As the number of emerging technologies grows, new software tools for efficient development emerge, so there are more and more competitive environments on the market. But what popular IDEs are the most sought-after?
Integrated Development Environments (IDE) consist of development tools that help write source code, debug and compile it.
Some IDEs are compatible with specific programming languages, some support multiple. IT staff augmentation service providers and other companies can implement several IDEs into their work, letting developers choose the best tool for their preferred language. There are also customizable IDEs with built-in plugins that allow to better sync them up with the devs’ selected languages.
Successful businesses have to factor IDEs into their workflow planning. To pick the best-fitting one, some important questions have to be asked: Will a particular IDE be compatible with the preferred platform of the company? Is it easy for your in-house team to adopt it, or you'd need a team member with expertise to launch it? Is the current IDE up-to-date or obsolete?
These decisions can be game-changing for the company’s future in development and operations.
Most popular IDEs for business in 2023
Is the popularity of IDE all you need to know?
Multilingual IDEs for developers give your team the freedom to code in Python, Ruby, and PHP all in one place. Many teams code in multiple languages at once, so having all the tools on the ready can be useful.
On the other hand, niche tools are great for niche tasks, so it's also a good idea to use the best tool available for each job, and switch from one to another as you work.
Here are some of the most popular IDEs for website and software developers.
Microsoft Visual Studio
- You can’t go wrong with MVS — it is one of the most popular and best-integrated programming IDEs for web development. You can develop anything from console and GUI apps, Windows Forms/ WPF applications, to websites, web apps, and web services.
- MVS is widely used in Computer Software and IT and Services industries. It’s equally popular among Software Engineers and Software Developers in small businesses and enterprises.
- IntelliJ is a favorite IDE for many developers. The reason? Simple — it’s easy to use and very flexible. Its strongest features are: the code completion, on-the-fly code flow analysis, an easy-to-use layout, fast and easy refactoring.
- IntelliJ is an IDE of choice in Computer Software and IT and Services industries. It’s often used by Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers in small businesses and enterprises.
- PyCharm is a popular cross-platform IDE for Python. Here are some of its strongest features: accurate code completion, smart code navigation, and project-wide refactorings. PyCharm is also highly-customizable and supports over 50 plugins and other IDE features.
- Useful for Computer Software and IT and Services industries. An IDE of choice for Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers in small and mid-market businesses.
- AWS Cloud9 is a multiple programming languages open-source IDE. It can be used through an existing AWS (Amazon Web Services) account. Some of the most useful features are code completion, syntax highlighting, a built-in terminal, and an in-built image editor.
- It’s proven to be useful for Computer Software and IT and Services industries. It’s popular among Software Engineers in small businesses and enterprises.
- Originally created for Java, now Eclipse supports multiple languages (C++, Python, and PHP). If more tools are needed, check out the Eclipse Marketplace Client — an extension trove, supported by an active community.
- Eclipse is used in Computer Software and IT and Services industries. Its features are highly-valued by Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers in enterprises and small businesses.
- WebStorm is used in Computer Software and IT and Services industries. This IDE works best for Software Engineers and Software Developers in small businesses and enterprises.
- Xcode is The IDE for developing Mac and iOS apps for Apple devices. Its built-in Assistant Editor that suggests helpful code files associated with your work on the side pane is especially helpful. You can develop, debug, design, and publish your app all in one window.
- Xcode is widely used in Computer Software and IT and Services industries. It’s a popular choice for Software Engineers and Senior Software Engineers in mid-market and small businesses.
The Jupyter Notebook
- Jupyter Notebook is used in Computer Software and IT and Services industries. It’s an IDE (and more!) of choice for Software Engineers and Data Scientists in enterprises and small businesses.
- Oracle JDeveloper works great for the development of Java-based apps. JDeveloper has a lot of plugins and extensions available to install that support other Oracle family products. It also has an integrated server to deploy and check the code.
- It’s mostly used in Computer Software and IT and Services industries. This IDE is popular among Software Engineers and Senior Consultants in enterprises and mid-market businesses.
- It’s proven to be useful for Computer Software and IT and Services industries. NetBeans is often used by Software Engineers and Software Developers in small and mid-market businesses.
Final tips on IDEs for business
IDEs gives needed support to software developers, being an integral part of their working process. And while IDEs for programming provide great tools for tech projects, challenges with compatibility and compliance can still arise. Before choosing an IDE for a project, we recommend that you consider requirements, timeframe, budget, and most importantly, the expertise of your in-house development team. Because even top IDEs can’t replace seasoned developers with impressive portfolios.
If you’re implementing new development tools and need help recruiting IDE-savvy tech talent, we will put you in touch with the most suitable candidates. After the onboarding, we will monitor their milestones and satisfaction levels so that both devs and IDEs of your choice work in harmony for years to come. Contact us today via [email protected] to schedule a call and find out more about our technical staffing services.
* All product names, logos, brands, trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners and are used for research purposes only. Outstaff Your Team does not claim any affiliation of any kind with the indicated companies.
What is the most common IDE for Python?
One of the most popular IDEs, suitable for developers of every level and freely available, is definitely IDLE. It's standard for Python and can be used on Windows, Mac and Linux.
What is the best IDE to use for small businesses?
Top IDEs for small businesses include: Visual Studio (multi-language), IntelliJ IDEA (Java and Kotlin) and PyCharm (Python). It’s important to pick the right IDE, but you can choose several and decide on the one that’s proven itself the most effective for your development needs.
What IDE is best for beginners?
The most used IDE for beginners is definitely Visual Studio Code. It is one of the easiest ones to get into. It supports multiple major scripting and compiled languages, a lot of plugins for code completion and highlighting.